Auditions - Week 9

Craft #1 - Adelle the Artsy Angel - Ann Gardner

Here's Adelle. She's an Artsy Angel....just floating by to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day. She'd never mention it, but did you notice her stunning sense of style? Shimmering shoes, fluffy feathers, precious pearls (not to mention pretty polka-dots). This girl has it all!

"Adelle the Art Angel" is made from lots of scraps. Scraps of wood, fabric, ribbon, old broken earings, felt, wire, netting and whatever else that could be found in a junk drawer. She is artfully painted and lovingly hung on the wall of a 6 year old who can't imagine anything more magnificent!


Craft #2 - Craft Station - Avery and Lisa @ Pearls & Potatoes


We love a great find and even more we love giving things a new fresh look. Our craft station is perfect for the girl who has little space and needs a place of her own to keep her ideas and supplies at. Here is an old cabinet that we found in the back shed that we have turned into a crafting haven. As the saying goes, 'One person's junk is another's person treasure.'

*Craft # 3 - Recycled Wrist Pin Cushion - Kim @ Te Sassy Crafter
Fun+ctional. It's a mash-up word that means a lot to me. While I think beauty can stand alone in the art world, I prefer the utilitarian but still artful nature of crafts. Take this pin cushion, for example. It helps me keep track of pins while I'm sewing, and it also makes me smile because it reminds me of the beautiful gaillardia flowers in my garden. It's both "fun" and "functional."
Plus it's made entirely of recycled materials, which is a driving force in my work. The cushion is fashioned out of vintage hem tape, scraps from a felted wool sweater, and recycled foam from an electronics box. It's mounted on an old cuff bracelet covered that I purchased at an estate sale and covered with extra-wide bias tape. Suddenly what's old is new again, in an artful and fun+ctional way.

*Craft #4 - Swaddled-Up Car Seat Blanket - Kristin @ Pea Pod Creations

So here it is...I had two problems:

Problem #1: Have you ever had your baby kick off a beautiful baby quilt while in their car seat? Ahh, it's the worst, not to mention if you were unfortunate enough to have your blanket land on a dirty store floor, or the pavement! I have had this happen and it's just plain horrible....I knew I had a problem.....

Problem #2: The dilema of how to keep little baby warm, the cold air would always sneak under blankets and make those little toes all cold.....yet we live where it's not super cold all the time, so I wanted a blanket that could be versatle enough to be used when it gets a little warmer too......

Solution: A car seat blanket, that stays with the car seat. I can't tell you how happy I am that I made this! In the morning when I drive the kids to school I can quickly get my little princess up last, put her in her car seat and snuggle her up to brave the morning chill.

I fold up the top flap (it is designed to tuck under baby and stay snug) then fold over the two other flaps....in the morning's I have her little arms secured under the blanket. When it gets a little warmer the bottom flap can be removed! The best part is that it's really easy to sew, the front can be made as fancy......or as simple as you want. Or of course if you are anything like me, you could have several of these...you know just in case you are feeling a little spunky, or playful, or even simple with just a monogram....Trust me you will want one (or many) for your little one, or to make for someone you know!

Craft #5 - Toilet Topper - Melisa @ The Little Green Bean



My contest submission is of the toilet topper I made from 2 drawers I got from an old desk & a shutter from an entertainment center. I got them both at the dump! I cleaned them up, added a coat of stain, removed the drawer pulls from the outside and put them on the inside for a bit of character! The shelf fit perfectly above out toilet in the space that was there! It was meant to be! Total cost of the project was $0!!! my favorite!

Craft #6 - Clothespin Dolls - Rachel @ Southern KnitWit

Everybody needs to be surrounded by pretty things, whether they know it or not! These little clothespin dolls are just the thing! They make me smile every time I look at them. They all have individual personalities! They are so easy to make too, as well as enjoyable.



*Craft #7 - Hungry Caterpillar King - Corey @ Life with Little Ones

Hello! These are pictures that I took of a birthday crown that I made to give to my son for his second birthday in October. The theme of the birthday party was Eric Carle's, The Very Hungry Caterpillar... I knew what I had in mind for his crown but the more that I worked on it, the more fun it became! I also knew that I wanted the focal point of the crown to be the trademark caterpillar. My idea to add the apple and the sun came to me after the caterpillar was in place. I used felt to create both the actual headpiece as well as the cutouts that were used to create the images. I hand cut and hand embroidered each piece onto the crown. I used ribbon for the suns rays and the border of the crown. I think that this is a fair sample of my work seeing as most of the crafting that I do is detail oriented and usually has a focus or a tie to my children. I love creating, especially for little ones, seeing as there is such a small amount of time in ones life to reap the benefit of a special birthday crown, and have it make their entire day! Gotta love that!



*Craft #8 - Fresh Vintage Quilt
- Jenny @ Jenny Garland Designs

Quilting isn't for old ladies, girls. This darling, monogrammed wall hanging is sure to make a statement! Layers of applique, freezer paper stenciling, free motion quilting, ruffling, and bead work create a fresh vintage feel.



*Craft #9 - Inspiration Push Pins - Kalleen @ At Second Street

Every Crafter needs an inspiration board in their space. I thought I would customize mine with these push pins.
I love using something inspiring to pin up my pictures, to-do lists and sketches.

*Craft #10 - Valentines for the Birds - Jessi @ Sweetie Pie Bakery

Valentine's day is one of my favorite holidays. I think I'm in love with the frill of it, mostly. I remember when I was in grade school, the biggest thing was to come up with the best Valentine box. I wanted to make something that reminded me of that childhood craft, minus the tin foil and construction paper.

This Valentine box is a birdhouse! There is a door that hinges open and shut, and secures with velcro. The house is complete with windows, window boxes with flowers, curtains, and a fireplace (if you get close enough to see inside!)

The bluebird can have mail delivered right to his door by your little cupid! The valentines are kid friendly, with envelopes that actually open and secure shut with velcro. You can write your little ones all sorts of love notes to be delivered this Valentine's Day!

*Craft #11 - Hold My {twine} Heart - Linda @ Crataholics Anonymous


For my audition piece, I wanted to create a subtle Valentine themed focal piece for my front room. And I absolutely love how it turned out! I love the natural elements, which you don't always see for Valentine's Day. The asymmetrical layout makes it stunning.


I used a scrap piece of fabric to hang the heart and add a splash of color. To make the twine heart, I cut a heart shape out of styrofoam and then wound hemp twine around and hot glued in place.
I love how simple, yet sophisticated this turned out.


Craft #12 - My New Sweater - Sarah @ Creative Jewish Mom

My mom loves to make stuff all the time. The good news is sometimes she even makes something for me! Sometimes she'll surprise me with it when it's all done, but this time I had to keep trying it on as she was making it! She said she really didn't know what she was doing, so honestly I was a bit worried, especially when the sleeves looked like elephant ears and were practically down to my ankles! But she tore them out, and started over and it turned out great in the end. Don't you think so ?

Crocheted net +scalloped cardigan front standing

My friends just don't believe me when I tell them my mom made my new sweater, so I tell them to come over some time and ask for themselves! Between you and me I think they're just jealous of that flower.

When I need to get dressed up in a snap, I pull out this sweater and my favorite skirt, and it just makes me want to dance! I just love the sleeves, my mom says they're called bell-shaped sleeves.

Crocheted Net Cardigan-Twist!

Of course I know it's not polite to turn your back on someone, but I thought you'd really like to see that this sweater looks just a great coming and going!

Crocheted Net Cardigan Back Full

And by the way I really think you should vote for my mom so you can see all the really neat things she knows how to make. I don't know whether I'm supposed to tell you this, but she decided to submit this crocheted sweater as her audition project because she said if she was actually lucky enough to win a regular round she'd never in a million years be able to make a tutorial for it, whatever that is!

Craft #13 - Funky Flower Frame - Holly @ Holly Christine Designs


This whimsical frame is funky and functional. A simple wooden frame covered with eclectic little flowers is the perfect home for your favorite photo or quote. I can picture this frame in a little girl's room, in an office, or in a little nook in your living room.

*Craft #14 - Dinner Party Attire - Emily @ A Skrpbkmom's Diary
Dinner Party Attire, the perfect little outfit for your little guy to wear on that special outing. A sophisticated brown onesie complete with tie for those formal occasions (or just to make him look super cute!), adorable argyle socks made to keep those chubby little legs warm, and to top it all off, a little sunshine vest complete with buttons. Your little guy will be dashing in this outfit and will be the talk of the party for sure!


*Craft #15 - Mr. Postman - Sarah @ Create Studio

"Wait!
Oh yes, wait a minute Mr. Postman.
Please Mr. Postman, look and see
You got a letter in your bag for me?"
-The Beatles
This Postman-In-Training is ready to brave the elements to deliver your mail in a timely manner with the help of his very own play set! The play letters are made of sturdy wood with velcro attaching the address, stamp, and return address labels, so while he's playing he can also learn how to address a real letter.
Once his letters are all addressed he throws them in his mail bag and neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow can keep him from a successful delivery!
*Craft #16 -Memo Board - Erika @ Oops! I Craft My Pants!

Photobucket

I know what you're thinking. "Ummm *insert my name here*, what the heck IS that thing?"

Well reader, wonder no more. It's a memo board!

Photobucket

Just insert some of your favorite pictures, a calendar, a grocery list, or anything else you can come up with, and it's as cute as ever.

Photobucket

I can't wait to hang it up in my tiny apartment. Maybe it'll make life in the dreary old basement a little more bearable.

*Craft # 17 - Partial Car Window Shade - Shannon @ Shannon Makes Stuff

Do you have a child that rides in the middle seat and goes ballistic if the sun is in his/her eyes? Now you won't have to worry about it anymore! Simply make one of these window shades and it's as easy as a snap to block out. This window shade only partially covers the window so your child can still see outside and other back seat riders can as well. If you don't need it at all, simply roll it up and clasp it with the magnetic straps, which is easy enough even a child can do! To hang the shade you roll up the clear vinyl strips into the window and it hangs itself, you can easily transfer it from one car to another, and you don't have to worry about trying to get suction cups to stick to the glass and stay put in their place!


Craft #18 - Garden Delight - Becky @ Becky Mae Designs


These gorgeous choker necklaces is made from new and vintage pieces of jewelry. It's a beautiful custom necklace that is easy enough for anyone to give it a try!


No comments:

Follow Me!